Director of the Strategy, Technology, and Arms Control
William Alberque is the Director of the Strategy, Technology, and Arms Control Programme at the International Institute for Strategic Studies in Berlin, focusing on national security strategy, nuclear deterrence and non-proliferation, arms control, risk reduction, and other international security issues. He previously served as the Director of NATO’s Arms Control, Disarmament, and Non-Proliferation Centre (ACDC), with more than twenty-five years in arms control, disarmament, and nonproliferation.
William has a diverse background, with experience in policy development, negotiations, and implementation – as well as nuclear security and safeguards, WMD non-proliferation, chemical-biological defense, small arms and light weapons/landmines abatement, pandemic response, nuclear accident response, and implementation of UNSCR 1325. He is an experienced researcher, writer, public speaker, having addressed the UN, EU, OSCE, NATO, news media, and national parliaments, and published on the history of arms control.
05 December 2022 | 09:45 | THE NEW GEOPOLITICS OF SPACE
- How can we strengthen international law for the use of space?
- Is the work of UNOOSA and COPOUS being undermined by the return of the space race?
- As strategic capabilities become economic opportunities how do we balance fair use with the protection of economically and strategically vital space assets?
05 December 2022 | 10:30 | ENSURING THE SECURITY OF NATIONAL SPACE ASSETS
- What is the impact of political turmoil on space commands?
- What are the benefits and threats of establishing space forces?
- Assessing the changing landscape of international space operations
- Sustaining safe and secure space operations